Director People & Culture
Discovery’s People & Culture team provides leading edge solutions to support the growth, development and overall health of our organization. Our group partners closely with the business to anticipate and deliver programs, products and solutions to keep our talent engaged and our company competitive.
The Director is a key position within Discovery’s People & Culture team providing direct client support for our Global Technology, Direct to Consumer Team.
This is an immersive experience for someone to move into a hands-on role supporting the ramp up of Discovery’s new Bellevue, Washington office. The role will join one of the most dynamic groups in the company- The Direct to Consumer Organization and support the new CTO, Global Direct to Consumer to build the Seattle Tech team as well as support the other tech leaders and their teams within the US organization. This role will partner closely with our global People & Culture partners.
The position will partner with leadership in providing solutions to employee-related challenges while maintaining a balance between being a strategic business partner and employee champion. This position will continuously review, challenge the status quo and develop initiatives that ensure Discovery remains an employer of choice. The position is located in Bellevue, Washington.
1. Partner with the People & Culture team to execute against the people strategy; enabling clients to achieve their goals in line with the overall business objectives.
2. Act as a trusted advisor to the Global Direct to Consumer CTO and the US based team as we build the organization and work on plans for talent, recruitment, retention and development to support the business strategy.
3. Serve as a coach and partner to the leadership and management team to influence and shape the change agenda, including organization and structural changes; identify obstacles and develop strategies to overcome them.
4. Lead in partnership with the business and recruitment team to build the Discovery Direct to Consumer Technology brand. This team will be responsible for the design and support of a consistent employee experience across the company.
5. Proactively handle day-to-day People & Culture transactional activities; provide creative and engaging solutions to motivate employees at different career points (i.e. early career, management, senior leadership).
6. Be willing to question and challenge; develop pragmatic and robust solutions to People & Culture issues and liaise with specialist functions to provide ‘seamless’ support and guidance to the business.
7. Develop strong working relationships and partner closely with all People & Culture specialists to be the on the grounds support and point of contact for these functions including recruitment, benefits and LifeWorks.
8. Maintain a positive work environment through effective employee relations practices.
9. Lead and develop People & Culture projects across the business.
10. Contribute as a team member on broader People & Culture projects across the business.
11. Proactively review on an ongoing basis all People & Culture policies and processes; with a view to improve efficiency and effectiveness within legal framework.
12. Continually strive to provide ‘best practice’ People & Culture advice and support, through information sharing internally and external benchmarking.
* PHR qualified or equivalent
* Approximately 6 + years HR business partner experience in a fast-paced environment
* Strong influencer with ability to coach and counsel employees and senior executives
* Experience with a digital native organization a + in addition to supporting tech/engineering teams
* Confident, effective leader with a track record of success
* Approachable and capable of working with people at all levels
* Able to create a strategy and motivate others to achieve necessary deliverables
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States