Manager, Software Engineering
Accolade is a personalized health and benefits solution that dramatically improves the experience, outcomes and cost of healthcare for employers, health plans and their members. With a unique blend of compassionate advisors, clinical experts and intelligent technologies, we engage individuals and families in their health, establish trust, and influence their decisions at every stage of care. Accolade connects the widest array of personal health data and programs to present a single point of contact to the most effective health and benefits resources, while coordinating with providers at every step. Accolade consistently achieves 70 and higher Net Promoter Scores, 98% consumer satisfaction ratings, and up to 15% employer cost savings. Accolade has been recognized as one of the nation’s 25 most promising companies by Forbes, a fastest-growing private healthcare company by Inc. 5000, and is consistently rated a Top Workplace across the country. For more information, visit accolade.com.
Accolade Service Engineering teams play a critical role in delivering game changing applications to our end users. The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a team in the design, architecture and development of new services of our microservice platform. The Manager will have the ability to drive the entire feature set end to end from defining the API for the business applications and to efficiently manage and maintain a scalable service and experience. We are looking for extremely entrepreneurial individuals to innovate and capture the market on a mission to better the lives of millions of people. If you have far-reaching vision and are passionate about building game-changing products and services that delight customers, then this is a great opportunity to join a team fundamentally changing the health care experience.
A day in the life…
- As a leader of one of our teams of Software Development Engineers, your responsibilities include:
- Build and maintain central services, providing high availability and throughput while fixing bugs, adding features, and refactoring
- Develop features across multiple modules within our application, including collaboration in requirements definition, prototyping, design, coding, testing and deployment
- Analyzing and amending production software errors in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide status reports where required
- Coordinate with other teams to implement changes they need in a timely and collaborative manner, while simultaneously shepherding and protecting the best interests of the API and core platform resources
- Smoothly coordinate your own projects and changes with other teams for a continuously reliable experience for our users
- Help guide the direction and implementation of our API's business logic
- Work closely with product owners, designers, other developers, architects, and quality engineers to develop innovative solutions that solve complex healthcare problems
- Analyze requirements and collaborate on agile design and delivery with Product Managers and Dev Ops
- Delivering features and services in the cloud: You will be creating and scaling features and services that utilize Accolade’s cloud as well as other commercial platforms such as AWS
- Resolve complex technical issues and deliver innovative solutions that improve user engagement, system availability, resiliency, and performance
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that can be rapidly deployed at internet scale
- Work with peer Engineers to ensure robust, high-quality software, by contributing innovative ideas to improve the testing processes
- Manage individual sprint priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Ensure that we are continuously raising our standard of engineering excellence by implementing best practices for coding, testing and deploying
What we are looking for…
Our ideal candidate has a good deal of experience with live site service-oriented architecture and is comfortable working in a fast paced, ever changing environment in addition to:
- BSCS, BSEE, or equivalent years of work experience
- 7+ years of relevant industry/academia experience in software development and full product lifecycle
- 3+ years of organizational leadership experience with a demonstrated ability to organize, lead, and grow an engineering organization of 4+ developers with a wide range of skill and experience
- Ability to create/maintain services with robust performance, resiliency and telemetry: ideally you have proficiency with services using SOAP, REST, and open source frameworks (Spring, etc). Exposure to micro-services is a must.
- Experience with object-oriented programming languages; proficiency designing and building complex business applications
- Recent experience with Java and/or Python is a plus
- Working knowledge of large scale service-oriented infrastructure and the design of scalable, highly available systems in the real world
- A passion for improving engineering practices and producing high quality software
- Ability to quickly identify and implement practical and wise responses during service incidents
- Ability and desire to change processes, automation, and software to make service incidents never happen again
- Agile development methodology expertise and proficiency with software management tools such as Jira
- Experience using a modern version control system to accomplish release and configuration management. Github experience preferred
- Ability to understand, troubleshoot, trace and develop fixes for root causes in distributed systems.
- Proficiency in debugging code bases, designing APIs, and writing unit tests and testable code
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills; able to work well in a cross-functional, matrix management environment
- Ability to establish credibility and rapport across the organization with technical and non-technical team members alike
- Ability to successfully collaborate with multiple technical functions in the areas of infrastructure, dev-ops, architects and other software engineers.
- You are intimately familiar with SaaS development practices used to build and deploy web / mobile applications
- Understanding of regulations associated with PHR and HIPAA
- Experience building software for the healthcare industry and/or medical informatics
What is important to us
Creating an enduring company that is hyper-focused on our culture and making a meaningful impact in the lives of our employees, members and customers. The secret to our success is:
We find joy and purpose in serving others
Making a difference in our members’ and customers’ lives is what we do. Even when it’s hard, we do the right thing for the right reasons.
We are strong individually and together, we’re powerful
Trusting in our colleagues and embracing their different backgrounds and experiences enable us to solve tough problems in creative ways, having fun along the way.
We roll up our sleeves and get stuff done
Results motivate us. And we aren't afraid of the hard work or tough decisions needed to get us there.
We’re boldly and relentlessly reinventing healthcare
We're curious and act big -- not afraid to knock down barriers or take calculated risks to change the world, one person at a time.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.