Visual Brand Designer
Interviewing is a universal experience, but it is no one’s job
Interviews are the gateway between people and jobs--they are a critical connection point. And yet, while the interview is a universal experience, it has never been recognized as its own discipline. In fact, the vast majority of people conducting interviews receive no formal training in how to do so.
Karat is the market leader in Interview Engineering
At Karat, our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. To do so, we created and established the category of Interview Engineering.
Karat conducts technical interviews on behalf of organizations hiring software engineers. We do this through a community of Interview Engineers who are equipped with Karat's interviewing infrastructure, battle-tested questions, and data-informed best practices. The result is highly predictive and fair interviews at scale that candidates truly enjoy. Karat has amassed the largest, most robust dataset of structured-interview intelligence to produce never-before-seen hiring analytics.
Founded in 2014, Karat is a privately held and venture-funded company based in Seattle. Key clients include Pinterest, PayPal, Citrix, Intuit, and InVision.
Design at Karat
We are looking for a Visual Brand Designer who loves crafting engaging experiences through visual communication. A great candidate has a sharp eye for detail, finds joy in creating awesome work, and knows how to work together effectively within cross-discipline teams. As our first designer focused solely on our visual brand, you’ll have the opportunity to work tightly with our Product Design Lead and Director of Marketing to define and develop Karat’s marketing, communication, and visual voice.
- Collaborate with Marketing to refine, expand, and steward our visual brand identity
- Build and maintain our Karat’s visual style guide
- Be deeply involved at each stage of the design process from strategy to implementation
- Provide design help and input to other team members so they can communicate their desired messages as effectively as possible
- Work on a wide range of projects from our marketing website and social media content to pitch decks, live event collateral, and more
- Strong visual aesthetic (i.e. great taste)
- You can apply core design principles (typography, layout, graphic design, art direction, etc.) to make effective and great-looking work
- Expertise in the design toolset of your choice (Adobe suite, Sketch, Figma, etc.)
- Basic understanding of web design principles
- Ability to translate business needs and creative briefs into design deliverables
- Ability to identify, empathize with, and understand target audience
- Portfolio of at least 3 distinct past works that demonstrates the skills listed above
- 1+ years professional experience (can include internships) in an agency, in-house, or freelance capacity
- A love for at least one of: html/css, illustration, photography, videography, or motion graphics
- Formal training in classical design principles. Ideally a BFA in Graphic Design or Illustration, but we are very much open to non-traditional education (e.g. bootcamps, online courses, YouTube, etc.) as well
- Experience working on cross-discipline teams
- Experience at a startup
- Passion for creative side projects (e.g. music, stationery design, writing, etc.)
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
With thanks to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.