Are you excited about solving real world problem with advanced statistical methods? We are looking for a Sr Statistician to join the marketing team for the world’s leading travel company. Your work will impact millions of our customers. The focus of your job will be in developing measurement methodologies, design-of-experiment, and analytical techniques to power various aspects of highly complex global marketing campaigns. We spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year participating in highly dynamic and competitive auctions in travel Metasearch (TripAdvisor, Kayak, Trivago) and SEM (Google, Bing, Yahoo) as well as social media (Facebook). Each of these marketing channels center around a rich central problem from deriving value from sparse data to auction theory and game theory all with the ability to layer in and action on user segmentation and behavioral data. We have deep and rich data sets, many still untapped, and your passion for the craft of statistics has the power to unlock tangible growth for our business. This is an applied statistics position.
· Lead the measurement function and small team to provide statistical support on experimental design, exploratory data analysis and modeling
· Perform advanced statistical analysis and modeling using both standard and custom developed methods
· Collaborate with machine learning scientists, operations staff, account managers and business leaders
· Provide technical leadership on the use, adoption, and/or implementation of appropriate statistical methods and techniques
· Review research study plans to ensure that designs are consistent with objectives, and make recommendations regarding experimental design, statistical analysis, and data management
· Communicate concepts, issues, and results to both technical and non-technical audiences
· Provide training on the use of statistical software, statistical methods and study design
· Technical review of analyses and interpretation of results
· Contribute to academic statistics literature based on internal learnings
You Should Have
· Ph.D. or equivalent work experience in Statistics or related field such as Biostatistics
· 5+ years post PhD experience in industry (relevant experience in academia may apply)
· Broad experience in applying statistics, exploratory data analysis, data mining techniques to real-world data including sampling approaches, experiment design, causal modeling
· Solid statistical programming skills in at least one statistical language (SAS, R, Python) and demonstrated ability to learn new ones
· Demonstrated ability to apply a wide variety of statistical algorithms and predictive modeling to effectively solve business problems
· Able to independently extract data using SQL, S3 (Qubole) and prepare data for analysis
· Strong communication skills both written and oral
· Consumer or ecommerce experience is highly preferred
What We Can Offer You
· You will work on complex real world statistics problems
· Your work will impact millions of our customers
· You will be given flexibility to pursue interesting new ideas, publish in academic journals and work with other scientists
· You will have a lot of growth opportunity
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.