Data Scientist II
Are you an experienced data scientist?
Are you passionate about using data to make every trip a memory?
Are you ready to help people go places?
Expedia Group's comet team is composed of distinctive brands (Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets, ebookers, Wotif and LastMinute AU) honoring our heritage while encouraging innovation. Our North America e-Commerce Operations team leads the performance and growth for Travelocity, Orbitz, and CheapTickets. We are seeking an e-commerce professional to support the package and car lines of business for the North America team as they set the strategies for their respective operating groups.
As a Data Scientist II with us, you will collaborate with other statisticians and data scientists to formulate innovative solutions to experiment and implement advanced modeling techniques. We work with data covering a wide range of information from customer profile to transaction history. You will work closely with our marketing and product teams to understand business requirements, and you will apply your knowledge, experience, and creativity to build models that can be integrated into our engineering teams’ software environments for A/B testing and productionalization. This is a phenomenal opportunity where you can enhance the experience of millions of Expedia’s customers.
What you'll do with us:
- Identify new fraud patterns through analytics
- Communicate complex concepts and the results of the analyses in a clear and effective manner
- Collaborate with engineers and testers for model release
- Define, build, and iterate on data science models
- Mine customer data for actionable insights
- Work with multiple partners across Expedia Group to identify and prioritize data science projects.
Who you are:
- PhD (preferred), or MS plus experience in a quantitative field like computer science, engineering, or statistics.
- Deep understanding of probability, statistics and machine learning theory and standard methodologies.
- Hands-on experience with various machine learning and analytics algorithms, such as logistic regression, random forest, gradient boosting, support vector machines, and neural networks for prediction and recommendation.
- Familiarity with geospatial algorithms and computation a plus.
- Excellent command of Python and related ML libraries (pandas, scikit-learn, etc.).
- Facility with SQL-like query languages to do data extraction, transformation, and loading.
- Comfort with at least one additional programming language, for example R, Scala, Java, or C++.
- Experience working with large data sets in a distributed computing environment such as Hadoop or Spark.
- Ability to understand the business problem, identify the key challenges, formalize the problem algorithmically, and prototype solutions.
- Passion for solving interesting and meaningful real-world problems using principled techniques and practices.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven history of documenting, synthesizing, and communicating results.
- Willingness to think through ambiguous problems with others.
- Based in or willing to relocate to Chicago or Bellevue.
Why Join Us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you are applying for a role in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal: to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.